Saturday 27 June 2015

A Garment a Month: Sutton Blouse

This month for my (own personal) garment a month challenge I made a Sutton Blouse, pattern by True Bias. 

Taking a quick photo on the front door before any of the neighbours walk past and wonder what on earth I am doing

The Sutton Blouse is a V-neck top with kimono sleeves and a pleat in the back. I have a similar top that I bought ages ago that I have literally worn to death. The side seams have all torn and I was going to dismember it and try to draft up my own pattern for it when I saw the Sutton Blouse one day while browsing. 

I was a bit apprehensive about trying the pattern as it is graded as Intermediate (I would not classify myself as an intermediate level when it comes to sewing clothes) but Kelli has a sew along for the blouse on her blog, so I thought why not? 

The top has a cute pleat at the back, which makes it nice and roomy - great for running after kids (I wore mine ten pin bowling)

As all the other things that I have hesitated about when it comes to sewing, it actually wasn't that hard. The pattern is exceptionally well written. I found it very clear and easy to follow. My favourite thing about the pattern is how beautifully finished the inside of the garment is. No exposed seams anywhere, which is a bonus when you don't have an over locker. I love it when the inside of a garment looks just as nice as the outside. 

See how neat and tidy the inside looks? Apart from my slightly wonky stitching...shhh, we won't talk about that

I thought the method of attaching the bias trim around the neckline was super clever and I definitely got my best results ever attaching bias tape. It probably also helped that rather than using the pattern piece for the tape, I measured it and the cut it with a ruler and a rotary cutter. I don't know if it's because I am a lefty, but I am terrible at cutting with scissors! 

Check the finish on the neckline. I am so proud of how good it looks, I am tempted to wear it inside out (not really)

I have already worn this top and it is in the wash as I write. I will definitely make another one of these tops. Perhaps with a contrasting yoke. I count this one as a win. 

That's a finish off my Q2 FAL list and I am linking up with the Sew Mama Sew Community Super Sewing Match. The Round One Challenge is the Sutton Blouse, so it seemed kind of fortuitous.  


1 comment:

  1. More clothes - you really are on a roll! Well done. I'm visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Feel free to say hi. I'll do my best to reply back - sometimes work and chasing after Moo & Bird might make me tardy.