Thursday 28 May 2015

A finish: a curvy clutch (or two)

I have been watching these cute little curvy clutches pop up on Instagram all over the place, and since if there is a bandwagon I like to jump on it, I thought I'd give the pattern a try (get it free here). 

I decided to make one for my May #ahbc partner and while I was at it I thought I'd whip one up for my Mum too. When I made my Noodlehead Envelope Clutch my Mum (not so subtly) commented that I could make her something like that any time. 


So, about the pattern.... It was ridiculously simple to make. The pattern is pretty straight forward. There were a few things that made me scratch my head - it seemed a step or two had been slipped from the pattern, but perhaps I just misread it - but as I have made a few bags now, it was pretty easy to puzzle it out. It is a quick little sew too. I cut one night and sewed the next and voila! all done. The trickiest think for me was attaching the piping nicely, but practice makes perfect and I have definitely improved since my first efforts. 


The bag has a very professional looking finish. The darts in the bottom give it some nice structure and the zipper tabs are THE BEST I HAVE EVER MADE. Yes I meant to capitalise that, because that is the one step I usually stuff up. 


I used Vilene H630 for the interfacing on the outside since I that's what I had and I used lightweight interfacing in the lining because I ran out of the Vilene, but I think  that it would have been a bit bulky if I'd used anything heavier on the lining. I still have to get my hands on some SF101 so I know what I am subbing for when I make these bags. 


Anyway, this pattern gets a resounding two thumbs up from me. I can see why it has been embraced so enthusiastically. 

This also knocks another finish of my Q2 FAL list. Yay! 

3 comments:

  1. Those purses are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Such pretty fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're clutches are lovely. I'm visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Feel free to say hi. I'll do my best to reply back - sometimes work and chasing after Moo & Bird might make me tardy.