Tuesday 3 February 2015

A finish: Scrappy Union Jack quilt

An English colleague of mine recently had a baby. His wife (an Australian) made sure that he was very clear as to which team their child would be cheering come the Ashes (that's cricket if you are outside the Commonwealth).



I thought it would be cute to make the bub a sweet little Union Jack pram quilt, although I was sneaky and included some Australiana in the form of these kangaroos from the Terra Australis line by Emma Jean Jansen. 



For a pattern, I used the one by Lynne from Lily's Quilts in Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine. I made my panels scrappy to add a bit of interest since I was only doing the one Union Jack - instead of using a fat quarter as the pattern called for I made up patchwork pieces. I also added bigger borders and then a second border with the pinwheels just to bring it up to a snuggly size for tucking a bub in the pram. 



I quilted it in diamonds following the crosses in the Union Jack and bound it in the Bush Sticks, also from Terra Australis.  It measures 35.5 in x 27.5 in finished. 

Another of my 2015 Q1 FAL goals ticked off my list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! Feel free to say hi. I'll do my best to reply back - sometimes work and chasing after Moo & Bird might make me tardy.